The Advent Quilters are a group of kind, loving and generous individuals who meet the first and third Wednesday
of every month. They come to sit, sew and fellowship.
The Advent Quilters welcome anyone 20-100 years of age. We are open to members or non-members. There are
many skills needed in the construction of a quilt and many opportunities to contribute. Wonderful ladies
are ready and waiting to help you learn the skills needed. We are a warm and welcoming fellowship.
In the Fellowship Hall — 9:30-Noon on 1st and 3rd Wednesdays.
The product of this gathering is many, many beautiful
quilts. The recipients of these quilts are hospitalized members, new babies,
Lutheran Social Services, and World
Relief. There are many skills needed in the construction of a quilt and many opportunities for one to
contribute. We welcome anyone interested in spending time fellowshipping with us. We are open to members or non
members. There are wonderful ladies ready and waiting to help you learn the skills needed.
“Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and prosper for us the work of our hands —
O prosper the work of our hands.”
~ Psalm 90:17
Lutheran World Relief Quilts
- LWR quilts are sent all over the world for warmth or shelter; for holding market displays or carrying when fleeing war zones.
Lutheran Social Services Quilts
- LSS is a Jacksonville based organization that provides services and supplies for families relocating in the USA.
Advent Baby Quilts
- Quilts are given to each baby baptized at Advent.
- Quilts are made fo rAdvent members who are hospitalized, are in nursing care or are homebound.
We create quilts for our Quilt Sale. Money raised is used to replenish quilting supplies. Extra is
donated to church needs: Youth activities, Pastor's discretionary fund, capital funds, and
Listed below are the suggested sizes to make quilts for the different recipients.
LSS Quilts — Double or Queen
Lap Quilts — 40" x 60" to 75"
Baby Quilts — 40" x 50"
LWR Quilts — 60" x 80"
For Lutheran World Relief Quilts:
Cut 16 rectangles 16" x 21". Piecing together 4 rectangles across by 4 down using 1/2" seam allowance.
Eleven inch squares can also be used. Piece together 6 across by 8 down using 1/2" seam allowance.
The backing for these quilts should measure 64" x 84".
When We Meet:
Our Meetings are usually held in the Fellowship Hall, from 9:30-Noon, the first and third Wednesdays of each month,
with some exceptions.
At our meetings, we:
- cut strips and blocks
- tie quilts and hand sew bindings
- layer quilts
- hand quilt specialty quilts
- learn new techniques
- socialize, share a short devotional and snack.
You can help us at home by:
- making quilt tops (see quilt sizes).
- saving any cotton fabric remnants.
- saving still usable king and queen sheets.
Marty Smith & Ruby Mattson
Join us on Facebook